Casual and self-employed workers in Victoria are encouraged to sign up for the Sick Pay Guarantee to access sick and carer’s pay.
Casual and self-employed workers now have the financial safety net to take time off work when they are sick or need to care for a loved one through the Victorian Sick Pay Guarantee.
Eligible workers who sign up can access up to 38 hours a year of sick and carer’s pay.
Payments are made at the national minimum wage ($23.23 per hour as at 1 July 2023). The payments go directly into the worker’s bank account, not to the employer.
The program is an Australian-first and is fully funded by the Victorian Government at no cost to businesses.
Who is eligible
The Sick Pay Guarantee is for casual and contract workers in certain jobs who are not able to work because they are ill, injured or caring for someone, and do not have access to paid leave entitlements.
You can sign up if:
- you have the right to work in Australia
- you're 15 or older
- you go to work in Victoria
- you're working an average of 7.6 hours or more each week in at least one eligible job
- you do not have access to paid leave entitlements at any job.
Temporary residents, permanent residents, visa holders or New Zealanders can take part in the Sick Pay Guarantee pilot if you meet the eligibility criteria, including that you have the right to work in Australia.
People who live outside Victoria are eligible if you meet the eligibility criteria, including that you physically work in Victoria.
For more information see the Program Guidelines.
Which jobs are included
The Sick Pay Guarantee covers workers in the following industries:
- Food, hospitality and accommodation
- Retail and sales
- Supermarkets and supermarket supply chains
- Factories, manufacturing and warehousing
- Administration, clerical and call centres
- Cleaning and laundry
- Beauty, fitness and personal services
- Taxi, rideshare and delivery driving
- Carers, aides and social assistance
- Health and welfare support
- Farm, agriculture and animal care
- Forestry, horticulture and gardening
- Tourism and outdoor recreation
- Arts and creative industries
See the full list of eligible jobs.
Sign up now for the Sick Pay Guarantee
Casual and self-employed workers are encouraged to check their eligibility and sign up now using the Service Victoria app, online at vic.gov.au/sickpayguarantee or by calling 1800 979 641.