Victorian Government traineeships provide young people an entry level role, qualifications and training.
Are you aged between 15 and 29 and looking for work? We can help you start your career.
Youth Employment Scheme (YES)
The Youth Employment Scheme (YES) provides young people aged 15 to 29 with a 12-month, entry-level opportunity to work in the Victorian Public Service while completing accredited training.
The YES Disability Stream helps provide sustainable employment for young people with a disability.
More information about the YES
The YES provides twelve-month traineeships in a variety of Victorian public sector departments and agencies. As well as on-the-job training, you’ll get mentoring support and enough time to complete studies for a relevant Certificate III or IV qualification.
The YES program is for unemployed young people aged between 15 and 29 years who are registered on the Jobs Victoria online hub or connected with Jobs Victoria services.
To be eligible for the program a trainee must:
- be aged between 15 and 29 years at the commencement of the traineeship;
- be unemployed or not working more than 15 hours per week;
- not be currently engaged in tertiary education; and
- have not attained a university level qualification (excluding certificate 1‑4 courses)
Priority is given to young people who:
- have left school without completing Year 12 or are at risk of leaving school early
- are from culturally diverse backgrounds
- are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- are at risk of homelessness
- are young offenders
- have a disability
- live in social housing.
Applications for the YES are made through Group Training Organisations (GTOs). If you are interested in applying, you can contact Jobs Victoria or a GTO listed below.
Group training organisation
Contact email and phone
Paul Broderick - (03) 8532 7200
Brent Caryle - (03) 8413 3514
AGA Apprenticeships Plus
Gino Tota - 0407 793 351
Adrian O'Brien - 0401 992 232
Narelle Edwards - (03) 5333 8600
|Ai Group Apprentice & Trainee Centre|
David Tate - (03) 9867 0139
Daniel Dickson - (03) 9867 0159
Brotherhood of Saint Laurence
Jo Tabith - 0448 332 023
GForce Employment Solutions
Louise Goodwin - 0409 431 854
Jess Vlaskic - 1300 337 870
Sally Taufer - 0417 736 754
Rene Lewis - 0403 824 590
NECA Educations & Careers
Stacey Fedden - 0488 665 600
Suzie Smith - 0418 513 572
Next Gen Jobs / WPC Group
Tim Owens - 0402 648 906
Matthew Muller - 0407 223 566
The Apprenticeship Factory
Paula Ryan - (03) 5822 4555
Andrew McCarthy - 1300 158 100
Westvic Staffing Solutions
Wayne Robertson - (03) 5561 9000
Brendan Hawkins - (03) 5561 9000
The YES Disability Stream provides sustainable employment and specific support for young people with a disability.
The YES Disability Stream is open to young people with a disability who:
- are aged between 15-29 years at the start of the traineeship
- are unemployed or working less than 15 hours per week (preference is given to those who have been unemployed for six months or more)
- are not currently studying tertiary education and do not have a post-school qualification (excluding Certificate I – IV courses)
- identify as having a disability that is permanent and unlikely to change
- have experienced challenges in securing sustainable employment.
Reasonable workplace adjustments will be made to ensure you can succeed in your new workplace. Trainees also receive additional support from a Disability Manager throughout their placement. This includes career transition support at the end of your placement.
- Register with a Group Training Organisation (GTO) and ask them for an Expression of Interest (EOI) form. A list of participating GTOs is below.
- Complete the EOI form with your GTO.
- The GTO will send your completed EOI form and resume to Jobs Victoria on your behalf.
Group training organisation
Adrian O'Brien - 1300 000 242
|Melbourne Metro |
Ai Group Apprentice and Trainee Centre
BGT Jobs and Training
(03) 5333 8600
|Greater Ballarat Region|
Tracey Fulmer - 1800 436 723
Matthew Muller - 1300 135 008
North and West Region
Leanne Motta-Marques - 0402 648 906
Lily Williamson - 0439 651 903
NECA Education & Careers
To start your job search and get personalised support looking for work, talk to a Jobs Victoria Advocate. Advocates can:
- share information and tips about getting a job
- assist you to find training, education and other opportunities to develop your skills.