This guide provides you with local information so you can contact relevant services in your area.

Download the Regional Guide for Ovens Murray (PDF 501KB)

Skills and Jobs Centres

Skills and Jobs Centres are your first port of call if you are looking to enter the workforce, start training, or re-skill.

Your local Skills and Jobs Centre

Wangaratta Campus: 27 Docker Street, Wangaratta 3677
Benalla Campus: 
85 Nunn St, Benalla 3672
1800 SKILLJOB (1800 754 555)

Wodonga TAFE158 Lawrence Street, Wodonga 3690
1800 SKILLJOB (1800 754 555) / (02) 6055 6992

Retraining or upskilling

TAFE and other training organisations

If you’re thinking about a training course, take a look at the variety of courses available at the Victorian Skills Gateway. At the website you can find available courses by name, occupation, provider and/or your location. You can also call 131 823 for more information.

Looking for a job

Jobs Victoria

Jobs Victoria links jobseekers with employers looking for staff. If you're eligible, a Jobs Victoria Partner can provide you with tailored support including CV development and interview skills, work experience, skills training, jobs placement and mentoring.

Find your local Jobs Victoria Partner

Find job searching tips on our Get Job Ready page

jobactive Employment Services

jobactive links private and community organisations and services across Victoria. It can help you with range of job-search needs.

For details on jobactive in your area call 13 62 68 or visit

Online job search and professional networking

SEEK is a leader in online employment and training services in Australia. SEEK’s goal is to connect people with careers, related learning and business opportunities.

LinkedIn is a business-orientated social-networking site. It connects you with contacts and helps you exchange knowledge, ideas and opportunities with a broad network of professionals. Employers and recruiters use LinkedIn to find suitable candidates for many different roles.

Financial advice


Centrelink offers a free and confidential Financial Information Service that can help you prepare for retrenchment, including:

  • Financial options
  • Financial planning principles
  • Taxation and social security implications
  • Superannuation
  • Investment choices.

Centrelink provides direct assistance to families through a range of payments and services to help with health, social and welfare expenses.

Visit or call Centrelink Families: Ph: 13 61 50 (Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm).

Centrelink Customer Service Centre in Ovens Murray

25 Faithfull Street
Wangaratta 3677

Financial counselling

Financial counselling can help you make decisions about your finances and plan for the future. The following websites contain useful information and pathways to financial advice.




Local council and personal support services

There are a range of community groups and welfare organisations in your local area that can assist you with services such as:

  • Emergency financial relief
  • Housing assistance
  • Counselling.

Contact your local council to find services in your area

Indigo Shire Council
101 Ford Street
Beechworth 3747
(03) 5728 8000

Benalla Rural City Council
Fawckner Drive
Benalla 3672
(03) 5760 2600

Alpine Shire Council
Great Alpine Road
Bright 3741
(03) 5755 0555

Mansfield Shire Council
33 Highest Street
Mansfield 3722
(03) 5775 8555

Towong Shire Council
32 Towong Street
Tallangata 3700
(02) 6071 5100

Wangaratta Rural City Council
64-68 Ovens Street
Wangaratta 3677
(03) 5722 0888

Wodonga City Council
104 Hovell Street
Wodonga 3690
(02) 6022 9300

Emotional support

A restructure, retrenchment or unexpected income loss can cause financial and emotional hardship for business owners, managers, workers and their families.

Talking to someone is an important first step if you or someone you know is experiencing problems.

Lifeline is a free confidential telephone helpline that offers support regarding mental health and wellbeing. Call 13 11 14.

Beyond Blue provides information and referral services for those who may be experiencing depression, anxiety or substance abuse. Call 1300 224 636.

Other services

Trade unions may be able to provide you with support and advice through this transition period. The Victorian Trades Hall Council has a list of unions here:

Redundancy InfoLink is your starting point for helpful information and assistance after notification of redundancy.