Flemington Works is generating employment, school-based training and small business opportunities for tenants of the Flemington public housing estate.
Co-designed by the Flemington community, the Flemington Project employs two skilled industry and community brokers to develop a three-year strategic plan for the Flemington public housing estate.
Flemington Works focusses on systems change through participatory co-design principles. The project seeks meaningful inclusion from the community in the design, development and implementation of interventions and responses, and includes the following initiatives.
- generating job opportunities for residents through Council’s purchasing processes.
- connecting local suppliers to Council tenders
- increasing Council spend on social enterprises and disability enterprises.
Career aspirations and workplace experiences:
- Matching career aspirations, passions and interests of young people and women to meaningful workplace experiences.
Co-design and direct recruitment:
- Hiring young people and women to co-design employment-related projects and initiatives for their peers. This process includes 4 phases:
- discovery - understanding and clearly defining the issue
- developing potential solutions
- implementing and testing solutions