All of Victoria's major publicly funded works must use local apprentices, trainees or engineering cadets for at least 10 per cent of the project's total labour hours.
This guarantee ensures that young Victorians in particular benefit directly from the major infrastructure projects being undertaken in our state.
The Victorian Government's Major Projects Skills Guarantee provides opportunities for Victorian apprentices, trainees and engineering cadets to work on some of Victoria's biggest building and construction, infrastructure and civil engineering projects.
Under the Major Projects Skills Guarantee, all publicly funded works contracts valued at or over $20 million are now required to use Victorian apprentices, trainees or engineering cadets for at least 10 per cent of the total estimated labour hours.
More than 50 Victorian Government funded projects will be applying the Major Project Skills Guarantee including the Level Crossing Removal Project, Melbourne Metro Rail Project and Westgate Tunnel.
This initiative has already created more than 1,000 jobs for young Victorians, with many more expected over the next few years.
Here are just a few of the young people who have taken advantage of this opportunity:
- Since starting his diesel fitter apprenticeship in late 2016, 18-year-old Marty has learned how to maintain the heavy plant, obtained his industry registration and attained his forklift license.
- 22-year-old Sally is excited about her traineeship in Human Resources, which she started in late 2016. She had no previous administration experience and now learns through a combination of on-the-job tasks while pursuing a Certificate III in Business Administration.
- At 23 years old, Tom is studying for his Bachelor of Civil Engineering. He worked as a cadet over his summer break and obtained his industry registration. Tom is soaking up the real project experience and has asked to continue part-time when university goes back.
- Major Projects Skills Guarantee explanatory guide (PDF 141.94 KB)
- Major Projects Skills Guarantee explanatory guide (DOCX 117.7 KB)
- Major Projects Skills Guarantee frequently asked questions (DOCX 64.29 KB)
- Major Projects Skills Guarantee current and future projects (PDF 553 KB)
- Major Projects Skills Guarentee current and future projects (DOCX 326KB)
For Tenders, Contracts and Contractors
All publicly funded building, construction, infrastructure, civil engineering or other capital works over $20 million are required to use local apprentices, trainees or engineering cadets for at least 10 per cent of the total estimated labour hours.
For publicly funded works contracts valued under $20 million, adoption of the MPSG is non-mandatory, however all Victorian departments and agencies are to encourage tenderers to adopt the MPSG.
If the MPSG applies to your project, specific MPSG clauses will be included in the tender and contract documents. Contractors are expected to complete a Compliance Plan as part of this process. MPSG model RFT and contract clauses, Compliance Plan and Reports are available below.
If after reading the Explanatory Guide and FAQ you need further advice, please contact the MPSG team at email@example.com and Ph: 1300 208 575.
Information for VPS Procurement
It is recommended that Procurement Officers read the Explanatory Guide and FAQ before attempting to fill out the following documents.
- Major Projects Skills Guarantee model RFT and contract clauses (DOCX 329.5 KB)
Information for Contractors
It is recommended that Contractors read the Explanatory Guide (see General information above) and FAQ before attempting to fill out the following documents.
- Compliance Plan (DOCX 27.1 KB)
- MPSG Reporting Template (XLSX 113 KB)
- MPSG Reporting Template – Example (XLSX 116 KB)
The Major Project Skills Guarantee at work
Watch a short story about two young cadets working on ADCO's construction of the new South Melbourne Vertical Primary School.